Izumo Taisha




 We took a trip to the opposite side of our mission on the coast of the Sea of Japan to help some missionaries in that area. While we were there, we stopped to walk through Izumo Taisha, one of the most ancient and important Shinto shrines in Japan. The exact time that it was built is not known but records from 950 AD describes the shrine as being one of the highest buildings exceeding 48 meters tall. In the year 2000, remains of enormous pillars  were discovered and has lent credence to the shrine being so tall.


This is a replica that was in a museum of what the shrine might have looked like so many years ago. The top shrine was the house of God. People can be seen climbing the stairs toward God. In some ways, this looks like the covenant path from our church. Man makes covenants to follow God. As we keep the commandments, we improve and come closer to God. Through Jesus Christ we can be forgiven and stay on the path to return to God.

It is rare to see a Japanese flag flying. I have come to love this country and the people who live here. They are a kind and considerate people. I have been treated with kindness and respect where ever I go. 

 I am leading the choir in church. I know very little about leading but a lot about being a choir member.  We are singing hymns that have different arrangements. Fred uses the hymn book to insert the Japanese words into the songs. The ward members have worked hard to learn the music. I love to see their testimonies reflected in their faces as we perform. I just wave my arms but the real talent comes from the choir members, the pianist, and Fred's help with the language.


Fred was born in the year of the Ox. It is an appropriate representation of this strong man who blesses my life and blesses the lives of many others. He is my "douryou" (companion) now and forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 more days--Our mission is coming to a close

Enjoying our time here...

Daruma Doll