The blacksmith...

For our P-day (preparation day), we went to the knife stores in Sakai. We found a 5th generation blacksmith, Mizuno Tanrenjo. He creates knives the old fashioned way by forging carbon steel, heating it until it is red hot, and then hammering the metal out thinly. We got to see the workshop. The blacksmith was working with a blade and hammer when we arrived. We did not get to see the whole process but there were pictures taped to the wall so I took a few pictures of the pictures.





I feel it is only fitting to make a moral to this experience. We are in the hands of the master blacksmith. God allows the fires of life to burn out our impurities, soften our hardness, and then he can mold us into the person we are meant to become.


Mizuno-san also makes ceremonial swords for the sumo tournaments. This is Fred by some of the swords.

We bought a vegetable knife which I am so excited about. We have been using a vegetable knife for several months. We found it while cleaning out a missionary apartment. It was old and rusty. Fred cleaned it up and sharpened it using a wet stone. I use it almost every day.  It is so smooth. It cuts the food like cutting butter. I did take a chunk out of my finger one day when I was trying to cut a bad spot out of a Japanese pumpkin (my favorite vegetable). These carbon steel knives are super sharp.  I've learned to only use the knife for the purpose it was intended.

This is my new knife to take home. Pretty nice souvenior!!

  

Comments

  1. I sure have loved being able to read your mission blog. It has been a highlight of my day every time! Thanks so much for sharing these precious moments with

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 more days--Our mission is coming to a close

Enjoying our time here...

Daruma Doll