"Die with my boots on."

Sister Joyce Forman is a service missionary for the Church History Department’s Acquisition and Receiving Center.

Sister Joyce Forman is a service missionary for the Church History Department’s Acquisition and Receiving Center. She started as a full-time missionary in 2009 and is still serving more than 13 years later. 

 

Trent Toone, Church 

https://www.thechurchnews.com/living-faith/2022/9/28/23367539/joyce-forman-cancer-survivor-college-degree-byu-pathway-worldwide-church-history-department

I met Sister Joyce Forman while we were serving in the Salt Lake City Headquarters Mission. She is such an example of faith, endurance, and love. I was so moved yesterday as I read this article that I wanted to share it with you.
She is celebrating her 90th birthday. She became a full time missionary after the death of her husband in 2005. She has served in the Church History Library all of these years. She is a service missionary now, which means she works 3 days a week. She said, "If you are alive, why sit at home?" "I want to die with my boots on." I am so impressed.
She has faced many trials in her life including the death of her mother shortly after her birth. Her father died when she was 9 years old. She raised 6 children. She has battled breast cancer. She lost her husband when she was 76 years old. Sister Forman is currently on target to graduate from BYU-Pathway world-wide in 2023. Her degree will be in "Marriage and Family". 
I heard her quote the following poem from memory while we were serving in SLC Headquarters Mission.
The author is unknown. 

Each morning when I wake I say, I place my hand in God's today.

With faith and trust that by my side, He'll walk with me my steps to guide.

He leads me with the tenderest care when days are dark and I despair.

No need for me to understand if I but hold fast to His hand.

My hand in His- no surer way to walk in safety through the day.

By his bounty I am fed, warmed by His love and comforted.

And when at night I seek my rest, and realize how much I'm blest.

My thanks pour out to Him and then, I but my hand in God's again.

Sister Forman says, "I want my children to realize there have been hardships and trials, but they are minor when you look at the big picture...We just have to have a happy attitude."
I was so moved by this article. I want to be like that. No matter what life will bring, I can put my trust in God. I can put my hand in His. I can have a good attitude and go about doing good. I can "die with my boots on."
I remember a poem that Sister Forman quoted from memory at Christmas time. It is called, "The Story of the Christmas Guest" by Helen Steiner Rice.  I loved it. Look it up. You will love it, too.

The Saving Hand of God (Isaiah 59:1) – EndoftheMatter.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 more days--Our mission is coming to a close

Enjoying our time here...

Daruma Doll