Kyoto


 We headed to the mountains of Kyoto to visit more national historical sites.  These temples and shrines were built around 800 AD. It was a hot day, 97 degrees with lots of humidity.  I learned the benefit of using a parasol. It really does reduce the heat.



We tried to find shade where ever we could.  I love the mountains of Japan. They are very steep and covered with trees. It is so picturesque. I want to come back here in the fall. It is known for beautiful fall leaves. We found a bamboo forest while we were hiking to an old Buddhist Temple. There were warnings not to feed the moneys because they may bite.  We did not see any 🙈 . I seriously doubt they were there. 🙊 


 We visited with some junior high students from the Tokyo area. They wanted to practice their English. They are so cute and so excited to talk to us.

These are very old stones probably from an old cemetery used as grave markers.

We celebrated July 4th with a double cheeseburger Japan style. Check out the bun! (Pressed rice that has been torched with a flame thrower to give it the golden hue.) We also ate shaved strawberry ice. They freeze a block of strawberry puree then shave it into a fine ice. It had no added sugar so it was tart but was so refreshing on a hot day.😎  

We studied about the woman of Zaraphath during scripture study this week. I asked myself would I be able to give my last measure of meal and a few drops of oil to the prophet knowing things were so bad that my son and I wouldn't survive. It must have taken so much faith for her to do according to the words of the prophet. Yet today, we have a prophet telling us what we need to survive the world we live in. Our prophet, President Russell M Nelson, has told us we need to make time for the Lord every day. To learn the joy of daily repentance. To build our spiritual foundations. I have faith that if I follow the prophet my "barrel of meal shall not waste, and my cruse of oil shall not fail." 1 Kings 17:1-16

Happy 4th of July!! We enjoy our freedoms because of the sacrifice of many who have given their lives for us. I am so grateful. 🥹 


Comments

  1. Sister Allen, these are such fun pictures! How great that these students were able to have a positive interaction with senior missionaries. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 more days--Our mission is coming to a close

Enjoying our time here...

Daruma Doll