"Chisel away the superfluous material"


 

This week, Fred and I took the opportunity to take an 8 hour carving class from my mom.  The Utah Valley Woodcarver's Club held a carving show in Spanish Fork.  It was so amazing to see the talent and creativity of so many people's works of art. Many, including my mom, have worked  years to develop the skills of carving.  I loved the comradery among the fellow carvers.  They willing help each other as they work together in their individual creations. It was amazing to see a block of wood take shape and become something more.  


I have always loved what Michelangelo said about sculpting.

"The sculpture is already complete within the marble block, before I start my work. It is already there, I just have to chisel away the superfluous material."

Fred and I had the opportunity to go to Italy for our 30th Anniversary a few years ago.  My breath was taken away when I saw the sculpture of Pieta (Mary holding the body of Christ).  It was so beautiful, life-like, and moving that I immediately began to cry.  I could feel the sorrow of Mary when after all she had been through as the mother of Christ, He was now gone.

Aren't we all like the marble block.  God is working with us to free the image within.


Comments

  1. I’ve wanted to see the Pieta ever since I took a Civilizations class at BYU. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your mom’s carvings. I wish I can find a place here in Houston to take carving ‘s lessons.
    I also remember the impact of seeing Mary’s suffering in the Pieta!
    I always love your analogies, we are all being carved (hopefully) to perfection.
    Much love my friend ♥️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we are all like the marble block. God is working with us to free the image within. Can you only imagine what He sees with that marble block of ours? What a treat to be able to participate in your oh so talented Mother's woodcarving class. We always love admiring her carvings in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful...may our perspective may be as creative, lovely and pure as the Savior's that we may see as he does.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 more days--Our mission is coming to a close

Enjoying our time here...

Daruma Doll