Skip to main content

"How do you know when you feel the spirit?"



We have a lady in Japan studying the gospel.  She asked, "How do you know when you feel the spirit?"

There have been big spiritual moments in my life, but for me I most often feel the spirit in the small things.  A beautiful sunset, a flower, the mountains, a quiet moment reading scriptures, during prayer, spending time with loved ones, listening to music, listening to talks at church are all ways I feel the spirit.  In the New Testament, We learn about the fruits of the spirit:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,     Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.                                                               Galatians 5:22-23

If you have felt any of these feelings, then you have experienced the spirit.

Through my work at the Church History Library, I have read thousands of testimonies of people who have walked through the Oquirrh Mountain Temple during the Open House.  These testimonies range from 3-year-olds to the very old, from the believers to the non-believers.  I have been given a birds-eye view of how many people feel the spirit.  They describe the spirit as a good feeling, of love and belonging, a desire to change and come closer to God, a feeling of peace, and understanding. One of my dear friends describes the temple as "the soothing balm of peace".  I love that description.  The spirit can help us through the trials of our life.

Visible satellite image of Hurricane Ida at 2:50 p.m. EDT August 28, 2021. (Image credit: NOAA/RAMMB/Colorado State University)

I think of the people of Louisiana, whom I love, are right now being hit by a Category 4 hurricane.  We've been through multiple hurricanes over the years that we have lived in the South.  We know how devastating these storms can be.  Our prayers are with you.🙏

And now, my sons, remember, remember that it is upon the rock of our Redeemer, who is Christ, the Son of God, that ye must build your foundation: that when the devil shall send forth his mighty winds, yea, his shafts in the whirlwind, yea, when all his hail and his mighty storm shall beat upon you, it shall have no power over you to drag you down to the gulf of misery and endless wo, because of the rock upon which ye are built, which is a sure foundation, a foundation whereon if men build they cannot fall.  Helaman 5:12



 

Comments

  1. I feel the Spirit when I read your posts! Love your testimony and you. 🥰 Thanks for sharing your experiences. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always felt the Spirit any time I was in your presence. You were always my “Person of Peace”. I miss you dearly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 more days--Our mission is coming to a close

Enjoying our time here...

Daruma Doll