This is Family History

This week we took a Family History training for all missionaries working in the Salt Lake City Headquarters Mission.  It was 8:00 to 3:00 each day.  We learned so much about family history and how to preserve and research records.  Here are some of the fun tips we learned.

Sign in to FamilySearch.org🠚Activities🠚Where are you from?
I learned that my ancestors orginate mostly from Iceland and the United Kingdom.
Fred's ancestors come from Germany and United Kingdom

Activities🠚 Compare a Face

I learned that I look most like my Grandmother, Bernice Dame.  I found this interesting because my family has always told me that I looked like her and had many of her same personality traits.  Grandma Dame died when I was a toddler so I don't remember her.

Fred learned that he looks most like his Grandfather, Fred Rutschow.  This is the person he was named after.

There are many memories submitted under our ancestors including pictures and written memories.  Family Search is a free website where people can share photos and memories of their loved ones. You do not have to be a member of the church to use it.  I found the following story about my 4th Great Grandfather who lived in Nauvoo back in the days of Joseph Smith.


 

 




The Saints in Nauvoo were being forced from their homes during the cold months of winter.  My Grandfather Zachary Hardy was an experienced boatman.

"If bridges hadn’t been erected over the streams, they had to rely on ferry boats where the streams couldn’t be forded. A handy boatman, Zachariah Hardy, was assigned to ferry the saints and their belongings across the Missouri River. The chilly winds of winter swept down upon them in such a force that it rivalled the terror of the mobs, but Zachariah never wavered from his task. Halting only long enough to comb the ice out of his hair and beard, he worked until all were safely across the river. On the night of February 11, 1848, a terrible storm came up and the next morning he was very ill with pneumonia. Lying on the deck of the ferry, his hair had to be cut away as it was frozen to the floor. He died two days later, February 13, 1846, leaving his wife and six children, the youngest just five days old. The only shelter they had to stay in was a wagon box on the ground covered with canvas."

Learning about those who have gone before us helps us to understand who we are and where we came from.  Our ancestors lives gives us courage to go forward in our own journey through life.  There are many people who can help you get connected if you would like to learn more.

If you want to know more, go to FamilySearch.org  or ChurchofJesusChrist.org


Comments

  1. I love how as Family Search gets bigger our family gets closer! I love the story told by my great grandma Allan of when she found out for herself that the Book Of Mormon is true that is preserved on Family Search. I have also found an ancestor who was in the Willie Handcart company and a 3rd great grandma who fought alongside her husband against Napoleon... it is so humbling to see the great trials our ancestors have overcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My cousin has served two missions to Iceland and could translate records if you ever find yourself in need of such resources. Love & Miss you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so interesting. Fred's 3rd great-grandfather, Joshua Sawyer Holman. built bridges in Iowa Territory for the Saints to cross. After standing in freezing water, he caught pneumonia and died from exposure. He is buried in Council Bluffs. From Great-grandmother's history of her fore parents: "There was a company of men sent to the Sweetwater River to build a bridge and the people were told they would have to wait till the bridge was done. My Grandfather was sent in charge of the men and the work and Grandfather worked under water three weeks to accomplish that work. The bridge was never used, but it was the means of holding the people quiet and pacified. The hard work and exposure he went through brought on a sick spell that ended his life. He died at Council Bluffs in 1847."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful opportunity
    I do not have journals to read from, but the documents that I found through Family Search give me some clues about their life too. I love family history!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You stand on strong shoulders! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such interesting history that you have discovered about you and Fred's family, Hope all is well

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 more days--Our mission is coming to a close

Enjoying our time here...

Daruma Doll